Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Great Power Outage of 2012

..or at least it better be.
I can  not imagine having to go any longer than 2.5 days.
Without power.
Without lights.
Without air conditioning...
Did I mention its also 100 degrees outside?

Ouch.

So we were all caught off guard by a quick storm surge Friday evening.
As soon as I went to check the weather, the power went out.

Judging my the horizontal bend of the trees outside,
I knew it was pretty bad.

So I grabbed the kids and a few flashlights,
and we headed to the dungeon basement.

After trying to keep the kids occupied
and myself calm from basement spider sightings,
we headed back upstairs once the worst was over.

Looking out the window, I could see lots of tree damage.
Big trees were down.
Big trees were also laying up and sideways and about everyway
as they were ripped from the ground.
Branches, debris and garbage cans were everywhere.

Luckily, none of it was in our yard.
So we decided to take a short walk to wait for the power to come back on.

But it didn't.
Not for another 2.5 days.

We were lucky enough to have Tom's foresight to have a generator on hand,
so we didn;t loose our frig food.
(and neither did two neighbors with the help of some big extension cords).
We were also lucky enough to have water.
...and I never really liked cooking,
so sandwiches are always an awesome dinner choice to me!

Actually, now that I think about it.
I half didn't mind hangin out with the kiddos
and our "house-camping".

But it sure feels nice to turn on a light switch and actually have light.

(I would've made a sucky pioneer).


No comments: