Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rain rain go away...

...and only come back between 2 and 4 am when we are all sleeping!
(oh? you don't know that version?)

We've been rained on the past couple days. Not just dreary ol rain, but Florida torrential downpours.
Now because I can not stand to spend a whole 24 hours in the house, I patiently waited for the opportunity to go outside between downpours as we had been in the house almost 2 whole hours...straight.

I went into my rainy day stash o' stuff and pulled out some new markers.
But not your regular ol' markers...oh no-
Super cool window markers!

I bought these in a pregnancy stooper thinking they'd be fun and we'd all have a ball coloring on the windows...but that's where my reason and logic stopped.

It dawned on me as they stared at me with wide eyes when I gave them permission to color on the windows, that maybe this would not be the brightest idea in the world.
Maybe I was teaching them that it was okay to color on windows.
(Although it's not okay to color on the walls, as we do not live in a barn and that would be ridiculous, but windows- windows were fair game!!)

Fortunately for me, the girlies are old enough to understand that these markers were the ONLY ones we could use and we ONLY colored on the windows...so we avoided a whole 'nother mess.

It ended up being the fun that I had originally intended (although there was a little part of me that felt like a dirty little graffiti artist coloring on my own windows!)




The problem was in the "washable" marker part of it all.
These markers initallly wash off all easy-peasy with some windex and papertowels, but there is now a constant cloudy film on the windows.
After about 4 separate attempts to wipe the windows, they are almost transparant again.

Anyway, that killed about 10 minutes...actually it was close to an hour when the calculate the cleaning and re-cleaning time-

when I noticed that the rain had let up!
YAY!!! Freedom!
I told the girlies to get their rainboots and umbrellas!
Then off we went for a "rain walk".

Yep....its one of my favorite things to do (next to eating Cadbury cream eggs and watching Lulu the wondercat get all dressed up by Bryn).
A very wise friend of mine (and former boss at the Montessori school I worked) once told me that-
"There is no such thing as bad weather- just poor preparation"
But I love that quote! It's so true!
The rain is much more fun when you are prepared for it. (although I am not too sure you could apply the same quote to a typhoon or a tornado).

Anyway, we headed out. Girls in their rain gear and me with my not-so-waterproof camera to catch it all.








We spent an hour walking around our neighborhood looking for puddles and small ponds to splash in and get a little wet. Okay, alot wet, but at least we made it home before the next monsoon hit (because I surely was not prepared for that).

All in all, a rainy, but fun day!

No comments: